Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Third Day

Apparently, it's normal to feel sick on the third day of any sort of detox or cleansing. At least that's what Lisa says.

And I certainly did not disappoint. I crawled out of bed at 6 with a sore throat and sinuses filled with concrete. All day, I slithered around with the bare minimum of energy and STILL felt exhausted.

The strange thing is, I still wanted to go to the gym. I even wanted to WALK there, for some lunatic reason. So I shuffled the mile and a half to the Studio City Bally's to go lift some weights and listen to the terrible music they pipe in on the gym speakers. (Ask me how many Miley Cyrus songs I know. Ask me.)

A word to the wise: Ventura Blvd. is probably the stupidest place on God's green earth to walk around in a sick haze. I was nearly run over twice.

But even after a mediocre workout and quite a bit of walking, I still felt really stressed. Dumbass health insurance, job, and money worries still crept into my brain. And I had to quell the urge to dull that stress with a beer or a bowl or a slice of pizza.

And the damnedest thing happened. I realized that what I really wanted to do was meditate.

Now, I haven't really meditated in eight or nine years. But there I was, cross-legged on the carpet and breathing with my eyes closed. I even did ten minutes of "Om" chanting. And for a minute, I felt like I was outside of my body. My limbs belonged to someone else. I was just this essence without form.

When it was over, I was amazed at how much better I felt. That queasy feeling, that ache in my brain---GONE.

Maybe that's just something we all need in our lives. Some quiet time to just breathe and stop worrying.

1 comment:

  1. Kris this was awesome. Maybe that's what I need to do--meditate! It's amazing you got the urge to do that.

    You know what? That body-less feeling has happened to me too in neditation...like you are kind of floating and are everything and have no form...it's an amazing feeling..but for me as soon as I realized that's how I felt I was back in my body again...awareness ruins everything lol

    Keep it up!!! Good for you for not giving in to the stress by eating bad crap. I'm having a hell of a couple of bad days detoxing too and with life stress, so its interesting to see how this challenge tests your mind and your body.

    I need to work out though, haven't done that yet. I commend you for doing it!--LISA

    ReplyDelete